Primary Purpose :
Spring Branch ISD (SBISD) is seeking an accomplished communications leader to guide all aspects of the district’s strategic communications, public relations, marketing and meaningful two-way engagement between the school district and all stakeholders, both internal and external.
This individual will oversee telling the stories and building bridges of understanding and action in support of students, teachers, staff and community in our 35,000-student district.
This visionary leader should be an outstanding writer and editor, with proven media relations and crisis communications expertise and will serve as the district spokesperson and media liaison.
As a mentor, this individual will nurture the development of the district’s award-winning communications team and take all aspects of the district’s communications efforts to the next level of excellence.
These include, but are not limited to, development, implementation, and evaluation of strategic communication, branding and marketing plans and promotion and support of communications and community engagement functions.
Also responsible for special events and event planning, website, online and social media messaging, video production, publicity, communications training and district special recognitions and awards, to name a few.
This individual will grow and develop the communications capacity of district leaders. Qualifications / Skills : Education / Certification :
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in journalism, communications, English, public relations, marketing communications or related field from an accredited college or university preferred.
- Accreditation in Public Relations (APR) a plus, but not required.
- Bilingual a plus, but not required.
- Minimum five (5) to seven (7) years of work experience, in organizational communications, preferably in school district communications.
Prior leadership experience preferred.
Special Knowledge / Skills :
- Proven organizational, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated skills in writing, editing, proofreading all types of content, including executive messaging.
- Proven experience as an organizational spokesperson.
- Strong public speaking skills.
- Strong copy writing and speech writing skills.
- Strong knowledge of the K-12 educational environment.
- Demonstrated knowledge and skill in building communications packages for successful passage of school bond campaigns and other district initiatives.
- Proven media relations skills including crisis management methods.
- Thorough knowledge of media relations, public relations and Houston area media.
- Strong analytical skills and proven experience in data research.
- Excellent ability to interpret public education policy, procedures, and data.
- Excellent planning skills and highly effective organizational and consensus building skills.
- Demonstrate knowledge of printing and publication practices and software.
- Excellent supervisory skills leading and inspiring staff.
Major Duties and
Responsibilities : Community and Community Relations :
- Model core organizational beliefs and values; communicate openly and effectively within and across teams; and manage resources to effectively support district goals.
- Plan, develop, coordinate, and evaluate an effective district-wide communication program utilizing various means of communication and engagement that support the district’s priorities and T-2-4 goal.
- Create and manage key messages for specific audiences to be incorporated in communication and marketing initiatives.
- Direct and manage editorial calendar that supports district priorities and oversee management of communication channels and activities.
- Oversee the design and layout, preparation, editing and distribution of district publications including but not limited to newsletters, recruitment materials, annual reports, bond communications, programs for special events according to established deadlines.
- Work closely with the superintendent, senior staff and district leaders to respond to media inquiries in a timely manner.
- Direct and manage all district crisis communications functions and serve as district spokesperson and media liaison.
- Act as district spokesperson on critical issues, supervise media responses issued by the communications department, and oversee dissemination of district news to local, state and national media.
- Direct the publication of timely district information and news coverage.
- Serve as lead district writer, including but not limited to, writing of articles, points of information, editorials, blog entries and executive messaging on behalf of superintendent and district leadership.
- Maintain media clippings and other files that provide a comprehensive background on district initiatives, committee decisions, events, etc.
- Communicate effectively with the Superintendent, Board, staff, community and media.
- Plan strategic events as directed by the SBISD Superintendent, Assoc. Superintendent for Community Relations and / or Board of Trustees.
- Convey a professional image that reflects favorably upon the public relations of the organization.
- Work cooperatively with other local entities.
- Develop and manage department budget.
- Actively engage in the Spring Branch ISD community and build relationships with key stakeholders, both internal and external.
- Attend all school board meetings and other district-wide events.
Records and Reports :
- Develop and publicize reports related to the performance of the district and articulate district goals and objectives.
- Establish effective systems for district / campus information retrieval; keep records current.
Leadership and Training :
- Provide leadership in developing communication plans for various district issues and individual campus needs.
- Provide leadership in communications and marketing materials for special projects such as bond programs.
- Provide leadership in developing and coordinating communications during district crisis situations.
- Provide training for campus and district staff in communications, marketing and / or public relations as appropriate.
Personnel Management :
- Clearly articulate job performance expectations of communications department staff and evaluate job performance.
- Provide professional development opportunities and mentorship to develop talents of the team.
- Thoughtfully assign projects and manage workflow to leverage individual team members’ strengths and to assure the best operations of the department.
Policies and Procedures :
- Implement and monitor procedures that professionally enhance all facets of communications, both internally and externally.
- Design and publish professional communiqués that outline district policies, procedures, programs and accomplishments.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Responsibilities : Supervise the Assistant Director of Content, Assistant Director of Creative Services, Marketing Coordinator, and other staff members as appropriate.
Equipment Used : Computer and various office equipment. Working Conditions : Mental Demands :
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, high-intensity work environment efficiently and effectively.
- Frequent prolonged and irregular hours.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks simultaneously and adhere to deadlines.
- Maintain emotional control under stress.
- Work with frequent interruptions.
- This position requires regular interaction with the public.
Physical Demands :
- Repetitive hand motions.
- Prolonged use of the computer.