Principal, Policy + Sustainability Services
O rg a ni z at i o n a l O ver v i ew
Southface Institute , a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization, is leading the way toward a sustainable, equitable and healthy built environment for all.
Since 1978, our programs have closed the gap between environmental awareness and action by promoting scalable resource efficiency and clean energy solutions for homes, workplaces and communities.
Our practice of regenerative placemaking amplifies real-world strategies to create a built environment where the synergy between ecological and human needs supports both health and well-being while creating resilient, equitable and thriving communities, striving to achieve a low-carbon future.
Our Policy practice prioritizes and champions the regional, state and local policies that propel the clean energy and resource efficiency movement forward.
We know that sound policy has the ability to transform the market, and we are working with our partners to influence data-driven, rigorous approaches to a low-carbon and more resilient future.
Our Sustainability Services offerings support communities and local governments committed to planning efforts and programmatic initiatives in pursuit of the same.
We strive to advance our goals through authentic and strategic engagement of cities, communities, advocates, industry, and a diverse array of policymakers and stakeholders throughout the Southeast.
P osition O ver vi ew
Southface is seeking an experienced professional to provide deep subject matter expertise in climate and clean energy policy strategy as well as local government operations and sustainability advisory.
With immediate opportunities to amplify and expand the impact of our work in the built environment and energy arena the ideal candidate for this role is a strategic thinker with strong political and business acumen as well as demonstrated experience working with senior level stakeholders.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to :
- Develop policy and program frameworks for advancing sustainability, resiliency and clean energy adoption in buildings and communities throughout the Southeast
- Engage directly with electric, gas and water utility service providers to advance investment in clean energy and responsible resource use
- Analyze barriers and opportunities presented by energy and water codes, high-performance green building standards, and other relevant policy mechanisms within the jurisdiction of state and local government and, longer term, at the federal level
- Leverage internal and external data-driven research to form recommendations on policy and program innovations and emerging best practices
- Shape and articulate our point of view in briefing papers, requests for comments, and internal meetings as well as external conferences and presentations
- Develop new strategic relationships to support our policy advocacy and sustainability advisory work as well as advance the Southface mission and vision
- Represent Southface in meetings with senior level stakeholders including key policy and decision makers at multiple levels of government
- Collaborate with the team Director and senior leadership to define and implement policy priorities as well as support the strategic growth of advisory services
- Provide mentorship and career development guidance to Policy & Sustainability Services team members
- Participate in the budget development of the Policy & Sustainability Services team, including the pursuit and administration of grants, fee-for-service opportunities and government contracts
Q u a lific a t i o n s
T he su cc e s s f ul a pp l ic a nt f o r t he p o si t ion will m eet t he f ollowing r equi r e m ents :
- Minimum of Bachelor's or related degree; Master's degree is strongly preferred
- Minimum of 15 years of experience in a relevant field
- Ability to work and make decisions in a fluid and evolving environment
- Familiarity with energy codes and standards
- Understanding of the utility business model
- Relevant experience working with state and / or local government agencies
- Working knowledge of sustainability best practices in the built environment
- Excellent interpersonal as well as w r i tt en a n d v er b a l c o m m uni c a t ion ski l ls
- Exemplary presentation skills with ability to gather and synthesize information and perspectives from multiple sources into clear, easy-to-understand, engaging formats
- E xceptional t a sk m a n a gem e nt a n d or g a niz a t i o na l ski l l s
- Proven to be a self-starter and results oriented
- Excellent knowledge of MS Office; Salesforce experience a plus
- Collaborative and positive team-building demeanor
- Valid driver's license with no major violations
Southface offers competitive health insurance and benefits :
- Salary commensurate with experience
- 17 days of Paid Time Off annually (prorated in your first year)
- 13 paid holidays annually
- Medical insurance benefits
- 403(b) retirement plan with Southface match
- Professional development opportunities, including building certification credential trainings and Building Performance Institute (BPI) training and credentials
- Continuing education
- Flexible work schedule
- Organizational culture that highly values the contributions and character of its employees
Hours of Work
Southface office hours are Monday through Friday between 8 : 30 a.m. and 5 : 30 p.m. This is an exempt, salaried position with the expectation of a minimum of 40 hours per week with flexible options.
Occasional weekend or evening hours.